[CIG-SHORT] Fault friction nonlinear model convergence issue

Niz niz.moussatat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 14:48:43 PDT 2010

Thank you.
[ I was on a wrong trail. I did as Birendra but for the SCEC-TP11 dynamic
rupture and had a convergence  issue when resolution was 25m on the fault. I
didn't think about the iteration parameters since i asked Pylith for
ExplicitLumped modelisation]
Sorry
2010/10/17 Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov>

> On 10/17/10 12:10 PM, Niz wrote:
>
>> I am only guessing here, but if the displacement induced by your
>> simulation is of the order of 200m on the fault, model of cohesive cell
>> would fail as you use a smaller grid of 500m. I don't think that the
>> Implicit.LgDeform in Pylith is useful.
>>

> As long as you are using the infinitesimal strain formulation, the amount
> of deformation does not affect the rate of convergence. Additionally, the
> cohesive cell formulation assumes the slip direction is independent of the
> amount of slip even in the small strain formulation. In other words, the
> slip direction is relative to the original, undeformed configuration.

Nizar MOUSSATAT
LGIT - Grenoble
tel: 06.43.59.39.44