[CIG-SHORT] PyLith v1.7.1 release

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 15:10:37 PDT 2012

Dear Felipe,

Did you try the solution Brad proposed the other day?  For your reference, I'm posting it again below.  Let us know if this works for you.

PyLith Windows users,

We appear to have a solution for those of you getting the error message
"ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import."
when trying to use the PyLith Windows binary. It looks like this error
arises from having another version of Python installed that interferes
with the Python included with PyLith. The solution is to set your
environment variables so that the shell doesn't see the existing Python
when you run PyLith.

1. Double click on the PyLith icon to get the cygwin terminal window for
Pylith.
2. Run "env >& env.log" and examine the env.log file for environment
variables related to Python.

3. Remove all environment variables related to Python and set the PATH
variable to the absolute minimum. For example:

unset PYTHON
unset PYTHON26
unset PYTHON27
unset PYTHONPATH
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/lib:/lib/lapack

4. You should now be able to use PyLith.

In general, you will need to perform steps 1 and 3 (but not 2) every
time you run PyLith. To add these commands to the PyLith startup script,
add the commands to the bottom of the .pylithrc file included in the
PyLith distribution. Usually this file is in Program Files (x86)/PyLith.
This shell script is run every time PyLith starts up.

On 14/06/2012, at 7:50 AM, f_orellana at berkeley.edu wrote:

>  To the CIG short term dynamics community,
>
>   Hello, I am Felipe Orellana, here at UC Berkeley.
>
>   I have installed the new version (1.7.1) of Pylith, on a Windows 7
> plattform using the binary file from your web site.
>
>   Unfortunately, when I try to run some examples of the tutorial I get
> error messages like this:
>
> ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import Traceback
>     File "/usr/bin/pylith" line...

>  then Error references to
>
>     File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pylith/...
>

>   from just reading, it seems a problem linking files and folders when
> the program runs.
>

>   mmm, i'll try to get an alternative solution for my problem, cause the
> workshop is comming...
>
>   i appreciate your attention,
>
> warm regards,
> from the bay area
>
> Felipe
>

>> Greetings,
>>
>> I am pleased to announce the release of PyLith 1.7.1, a finite-element
>> code designed to solve dynamic elastic problems and quasi-static
>> viscoelastic problems in tectonic deformation.
>>
>> This release fixes a couple of bugs in PyLith v1.7.0. The PyLith v1.7
>> release series adds several new features to PyLith, including (1)
>> user-friendly interface for computing Green's functions, (2) output of
>> solution field at user-specified locations, (3) plane strain version
>> of the Drucker-Prager elastoplastic rheology, (4) prescribed spatial
>> and temporal variation of fault tractions with spontaneous earthquake
>> ruptures, (5) ability to use PETSc GPU solvers, (6) user-specified
>> start time for simulations, and (7) elastic prestep in quasi-static
>> simulations is optional.
>>
>> We strongly recommend all users of previous PyLith releases switch to
>> this latest release. In addition to adding features this release also
>> fixes a minor parallel processing bug related to fault friction in
>> quasi-static simulations.
>>
>> See the README file for changes required to switch to the v1.7.x
>> release series from previous versions.
>>
>> You can download the source code and binaries from
>>
>>     http://geodynamics.org/cig/software/packages/short/pylith
>>
>> Detailed installation instructions for the binary packages are in the
>> User Manual with detailed building instructions for a few platforms in
>> the INSTALL file bundled with the PyLith Installer utility.
>>

>> RELEASE NOTES - PyLith v1.7.1
>>
>> * Bug fixes
>>
>>   - Fixed a couple of bugs in the spontaneous earthquake rupture for
>>     quasi-static problems when running in parallel. These prevented
>>     the nonlinear solve from converging and erroneously generated
>>     fault-opening in a some cases.
>>
>>   - Minor updates to the documentation and manual. Added Green's
>>     function examples to the manual.
>>
>> RELEASE NOTES - PyLith v1.7.0
>>
>> * New features
>>
>>   * User-friendly interface for Green's functions
>>
>>     A new problem type provides a user-friendly interface for
> [...]

Charles A. Williams
Scientist
GNS Science
1 Fairway Drive, Avalon