[CIG-SHORT] Initial stress conditions

Eric Lindsey elindsey at ucsd.edu
Wed Nov 6 13:22:42 PST 2013

It seems I don't understand what the initial stress conditions imposed by

[pylithapp.timedependent.materials.elastic]
db_initial_stress

are doing. I've got a dynamic fault with static friction that will slip
when I impose Dirichlet or Neumann BC that introduce a large enough shear
stress (I took most of the configuration from examples/3d/hex8/step11.cfg),
but if I impose these initial stresses instead of the extra boundary
conditions, I get no slip! What's going on here - am I misunderstanding the
purpose of initial stress?

Thanks,
Eric