[CIG-SHORT] Fault direction in 3D fault

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Thu May 1 16:53:42 PDT 2014

Jiangzhi,

If this is the same model you used a while ago, then I believe you use
[0,1,0] as the up_dir for the domain. You need to set the up_dir to
[0,1,0] for all faults and boundaries.

You should request that the fault orientation be information be written
so that you can see the strike_dir, dip_dir, and fault normal directions
for your geometry. This will help you debug the fault slip directions.
See examples/3d/hex8/step06.cfg for how to request the fault directions
be output.

Brad