[CIG-SHORT] Reg. Relax for Afterslip modeling

Sylvain Barbot sylbar.vainbot at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 03:28:14 PST 2015

Dear Mahesh,

Relax is a modeling tool to make predictions about deformation and
stress evolution assuming specific geometry and rheology. You can also
use it in inverse problems as it provide the forward modeling part.
For this, you will have to understand the role of dynamic friction and
the distinction between velocity-weakening and velocity-strengthening
friction. Off-fault processes may also be important and fully coupled
with friction evolution on faults. There are plenty of references out
there for you to build your intuition about how that works. Papers
from my colleagues and I can show you how to use the code, but for a
general introduction to friction, I recommend Marone (1998,1999) and
Scholz (1998). Nadia Lapusta and I also have a review of friction and
the seismic cycle (Lapusta & Barbot, 2012). I will send this in a
separate email.

Best wishes,
Sylvain