[CIG-SHORT] Running PyLith reading parameters from a .CSV file

David Castineira davidcas at mit.edu
Wed Oct 7 11:13:11 PDT 2015

Dear CIG representative,

My name is David Castineira and I'm a Research Scientist at the MIT. I have a couple of questions about running PyLith so I was wondering if you could help me out (note: I'm new into PyLith so I apologize if this is trivial; I could not find a quick answer on the manual though):

Let's say I want to run a specific PyLith simulation using a text file in .cfg format. Let's imagine that I want to test multiple variations of that simulation by changing specific parameters (e.g., different values for the static coefficient of friction and different values for the total simulation time). Ideally I would like to be able to define those parameters in a separate file (preferably a .CSV file) and then read or load that file when running the main .cfg file. Is it possible to do that within PyLith? I mean, how can I tell Pylith that the value of the first cell in my .CSV file (for example) is the total simulation time, i.e.,

[pylithapp.problem.formulation.time_step]
total_time = 30*day

Of course I can do the trick playing with with text editors outside PyLith, but if I could formally do this within PyLith that would be better.

Best and thanks in advance,
David

David CastiƱeira
  Research Scientist, Dpt of Civil and Environmental Engineering
MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
  Email: davidcas at mit.edu<mailto:davidcas at mit.edu>; Phone: (+1) 512-417-2569