[CIG-SHORT] Pylith Green's functions

Charles Williams willic3 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:17:15 PDT 2016

At present, I don’t think PyLith is set up to do this sort of thing.  Depending on your situation, I can think of two options:

1.  Generate your Green’s functions in batches that can be done simultaneously.  You could define several subregions on your fault and run each of those separately.  This would work if you have a cluster or several workstations to run on.  Once all the functions are generated you can combine them however you like.
2.  Create a time-dependent problem where each patch uses a different slip history (you could write a script to generate this).  At t=0 you slip patch 0 by a positive amount, at t=1 you slip patch 0 by a negative amount (to cancel out the slip from the previous time step) and patch 1 by a positive amount, etc.  This was the sort of method we used before we had Green’s functions officially included in PyLith.

> On 8/04/2016, at 9:45 AM, Demian Gomez <ddgomez at memphis.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have a model with a fault that is made of 16k nodes. I need the impulse responses to invert for the slip at the fault, but I've grouped the nodes into square slip patches (20 x 20 km). Therefore, I have ~ 200 patches that are formed by multiple nodes on my fault interface. Is there a way to run the Green's function problem in Pylith (2.1.0) with more than one impulse at the time? Running the problem with 16k nodes will take too much time and I don't need each individual node's impulse response, only the impulse response of each slip patch made of multiple nodes.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Demián D. Gómez
> Graduate Research Assistant & PhD Candidate
> Center for Earthquake Research and Information
> 3890 Central Ave, Memphis TN 38152
> Tel: +1 (901) 678-4809
> Cell: +1 (901) 900-7324

Charles A. Williams