[CIG-SHORT] Question regarding spatial database with depth and lateral dependent properties

Josimar Alves da Silva jsilva.mit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 11:51:53 PDT 2016

Dear Brad,

Thank you so much for the reply.

Material 1 and 2 have densities that are different for each material, but
both densities are constant throughout the domain.  Material 2, however, is
viscoelastic. Therefore, I am trying to design the input file for the
"out-of-plane stress component (Szz)" that is mentioned on page 56 of the
manual.

For flat layers, the input format for  "db_initial_state.iohandler.filename"
is:

X Y stress-xx  stress-yy  stress-xy  stress-zz-initial  total-strain-xx [
.. ]

Where in most cases Sxx=Syy=Szz= rho*g*h. (as in the step 16, page 161;
 step2 page 194 of the manual. ).

For my specific geometry, since the layer thickness of both materials
change laterally, it is unclear for me the correct order of the input
values on the file for the initial stresses.

Find attached the .cfg files that I am using as input for my specific
geometry. Note that, for better understanding,  I refer to the material
densities generically as rho1 and rho2 in the attached files.

Do you see any problem with the order that I include the values on the
 "mat1_initila_stresses.spatialdb" and "mat2_initila_stresses.spatialdb" ?.
So far with these files I can't achieve static equilibrium.

Thank you in advance for you time.
Best regards,
Josimar