[CIG-SHORT] Question regarding spatial database with depth and lateral dependent properties

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Mon Oct 24 14:01:11 PDT 2016

Josimar,

With a lateral density variation the stress field within each material
will be close to rho*g*z (z < 0 so these values are negative,
corresponding to compression), but there will be perturbations due to
the density variation. You may want to start a simulation with the
initial stresses in each material equal to rho*g*z, but you will need to
run it for many time steps to get the viscoelastic material to relax and
reach a steady-state solution (see examples/2d/gravity/README Step 3,
especially gravity_isostatic.spatialdb).