[CIG-SHORT] Mesh interpenetration

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 1 13:39:35 PDT 2017

On 11/01/2017 12:59 PM, Li, Teng wrote:
> Hi Brad,
>
> Thank you. Actually, I asked the similar questions in the last month. I find normal traction become zero in the junction area. And also shear traction become zero in this area. After analyzing HDF5 file, I find there are both positive and negative normal slip occur in different time steps. Last time, we thought it was because the inappropriate parameters chosen for my problem. For my problem, the mesh size is 12.5m. And I first choose nordimensinalizer: normalizer.shear_wave_speed = 1*km/s,  normalizer.wave_period = 1*s. Now I change them to 0.1*km/s and 0.1s. Furthermore, I add formulation.norm_viscosity = 0.4. And I still see the both positive and negative normal slips. The magnitudes for both are about 0.005m.
>
> Is it because the rounding error brought by Matlab? Or is it because the mesh? I use Trellis to mesh all the domain.

Teng,

I went back to our email exchange in Aug and looked at your JSON
parameter file that you provided then. It looks like you are running a
dynamic simulation with multiple intersecting faults with a friction
interface.

The JSON parameter file doesn't contain your spatial databases so I
don't know what sort of tractions you have on the fault or what your
material properties are. What information are you using to select your
new nondimensionalization scales? The shear wave speed should be close
to your minimum shear wave speed and the wave period should be close to
the minimum wave period you can resolve with your discretization (a
wavelength of usually 10-12 times your cell size). You updated
nondimensionalization scales correspond to a wavelength (length scale)
of 0.01 km or 10m. I suspect that the wavespeed you use for
nondimensionalization should be on the order of 1 km/s not 0.1 km/s.

With a geometric incompatibility, usually you can keep the fault closed
with an appropriate normal traction. That is, if you have a small amount
of slip relative to your cell size, then the local transient normal
tractions are usually much smaller than the compressive normal tractions
arising from the overburden pressure.

If you need further help, I suggest sending a diagram of what you are
trying to do along with a description (include approximate values for
your materials and BC) and the JSON parameter file.