[CIG-SHORT] CSEC benchmarks pylith files on Github?

Brad Aagaard baagaard at usgs.gov
Wed Oct 25 16:31:19 PDT 2017

On 10/25/17 3:58 PM, Ekaterina Bolotskaya wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I'm failing to find pylith files (I'm looking here:
> https://github.com/geodynamics/pylith_benchmarks) that were used to
> obtain the results shown here http://scecdata.usc.edu/cvws/cgi-bin/cvws.cgi
>
> Also is that correct that there's just one pylith rate-and-state
> friction benchmark on the SCEC website
> (http://scecdata.usc.edu/cvws/cgi-bin/cvws.cgi): tpv102 - Rate-state
> friction, ageing law, half-space?

The files are in dynamic/scecdynrup/tpv102. These files may need
updating for work with PyLith v2.X.X.

> I'm also looking at step06 in examples/2d/subduction and step14
> in examples/3d/hex8. Are there any more rate-and-state friction examples
> I can look at? Espesially m-scale (rather than km-scale) ones, as my
> m-scale rate-and-state simulation is not converging and I thing scaling
> might be one of the problems (I'm using
> appropriate normalizer.length_scale).

I think the examples you list are the ones we have for quasistatic modeling.

> (My simulation is 2D, 2m by 3m, trilateral mesh, buried fault with rate
> and state friction in the middle, I'm fixing vertical displacement along
> all boundaries and applying compression in both x and y direction and
> shear traction rates).

Do you have sufficient Dirichlet BC to eliminate all rigid body motion
(translation and rotation)? If so, turn on the KSP and SNES monitors and
send your JSON parameter file (generated automatically in v2.2.1)  and
your entire log.