2016 ObsPy Tutorial
This one day course begins with an overview of the ObsPy package (http://obspy.org) and will introduce its major features and capabilities. Step-by-step, you will learn how to use different parts of ObsPy culminating in exercises that tie together the gained knowledge. Participants are expected to have a basic working knowledge of scientific Python and seismology but no knowledge of ObsPy is required.
- ObsPy: A Python Toolbox for Seismology (lecture)
- Quick Python refresher
- File Formats in Seismology and using them in ObsPy
- Time Handling in ObsPy
- Waveform Data in ObsPy
- Handling Station Metadata
- Handling Event Metadata
- Retrieving Data from the FDSN web services
- Basic ObsPy Exercise combining the gained knowledge
- Advanced Exercise: Event Detection and Magnitude Estimation in an Aftershock Series (if time left)
Registration for all tutorials is through the main meeting webpage. We anticipate offering the Python tutorial during CIG '16 (June 20-22) and seismology tutorials including ObsPy June 23-24. Check back for confirmation of all dates.
Registration confirmations will be sent in late March.