2017 CIG-LLNL Computational Seismology Workshop
You are required to bring your own laptop with software preloaded. No time will be allocated to download software.
Participants should have a strong skills in:
- UNIX, Linux and/or
- Mac OSX
Be familiar with:
- Jupyter notebooks
We recommend that you pick up and read:
Igel, Heiner (2016), Computational Seismology: A Practical Introduction, 1., edited by Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press.
ATTENDEES MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Laptop computer with power cord.
- Laptops must have SSH software with the ability to display X11 clients. See the instructions for your platform below for details.
- Verify that you can open a terminal window (Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal)
- Verify that you have XQuartz installed and then start the application to make sure it works. It should be in the Utilities folder.
- If you can't find XQuartz, you can download and install it yourself. The software and online support are available at https://www.xquartz.org/. A youtube video can also be found at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS4zTqfwSSQ.
- Linux comes with SSH and X11 installed. Nothing needs to be done.
WINDOWS INSTRUCTIONS - FOR PERSONALLY OWNED MACHINES:
If you don't already have something like X-Win32, PuTTY and/or Xming installed, you can try either of the following.
- Install both PuTTY for SSH and Xming for X11 software. These are free, and both will need to be installed for full functionality. For PuTTY: http://www.putty.org/ For Xming: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
- Alternately, you can obtain a 30-day trial version of X-Win32 from: https://www.starnet.com/xwin32/
To install ObsPy and Instaseis please go to the workshop github site here for instructions. Please note the following:
- requires Python 3.5 or 3.6
- a new release of ObsPy will be available prior to the workshop. Updating is easy using Anaconda's update command [instructions]
PLEASE DO NOT close the repository at this time. The notebooks are still under improvement.
SPECFEM and SW4 will be preinstalled on HPC computing at LVOC (Quartz). There is no need to download these software packages.
ParaView [downloads] recommended