2015 Geodynamo Benchmarking Workshop
last updated February 2, 2015
8:00 Introduction to Workshop - Jon Aurnou
8:10 Participant Introductions – brief self-introductions from all participants
8:30 Introduction to Benchmarks – Peter Olson
9:00 Introduction to Codes – Participating benchmark teams
10:00 Break 30 min
10:30 Benchmarking Results –Nick Featherstone, Eric Heien, Hiro Matsui
Please consider the following questions for discussions to follow:
- What are the strengths of each method and code?
- What key features should we consider for development
- What developments path(s) should we pursue?
- The answer is 42. Are we asking the right questions?
11:30 DISCUSSION lead by Gary Glatzmaier
12:30– Lunch in Lobby 1 hr
1:30 State of the Art Calculations – forward looking (30 min each)
- Nat Schaeffer – Xshells virtual
- Jean-Luc Guermond – SFEMaNS-T
- Ross Heikes - Icosahedral Grids
- Phillipe Marti – Sparse Solvers
- Nick Featherstone – Rayleigh Code
4:00 Break 30 min
4:30 DISCUSSION: State of the Art & Future Development Directions – Ben Brown
Dinner on your own
8:30 INCITE Project: Dynamo Frontiers – Jon Aurnou
9:00 Argonne Leadership Computing Facility – Wei Jiang
9:40 Break 20 min
10:00 INCITE Dynamo Cases
- What are the science drivers and their use cases?
- What are the diagnostics?
- What are the optimal data products?
- What is the best way to make these simulation results a broad community resource?
10:30 DISCUSSION: Proposed INCITE runs lead by Sabine Stanley
11:30 DISCUSSION: Future Directions - lead by Nick Featherstone
- What are the bottlenecks in current codes that prevent the calculations from going to lower e and p?
- What are the strategies going forward?
12:30 – Lunch in Lobby
movies for all presentations can be found on our YouTube channel